- Prep time
- 20 minutes
- Cook time
- 15 minutes
- 4 servigns
Big thanks to Erin Alderson of Naturally Ella for this delicious curry chickpea burgers with a tropical flair. Check out Naturally Ella for more ideas on natural, vegetarian recipes.
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas (drained and rinsed, if using canned)
- 3 tablespoons minced toasted cashews
- ⅓ cup shredded lacinato kale or spinach
- ¼ cup minced scallions
- ¼ cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- Kosher salt, as needed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons coconut oil, for frying
- 4 slider buns, for serving
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- ¼ cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons minced scallions
- Zest and Juice from 1 lime
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Combine the chickpeas and cashews in a food processor, pulsing a few times to combine. Add the kale, scallions, and parsley; pulsing a few more times. Add in the breadcrumbs, egg white, olive oil, tomato paste, curry powder, and salt and pulse until well combined using caution to not pulse into a smooth puree. Let sit while making the slaw.
Heat a large, heavy-bottom large skillet over medium-low heat. Wet your hands with water and divide the chickpea mixture into 4, ½” thick patties. Add the coconut oil to the skillet, swirl around, then add the patties. Cook, flipping once, until crisped and browned on the outside and hot through the middle, about 5 minutes.
Combine the cabbage, coconut milk, scallions, lime zest and juice, and salt. Massage the coconut milk into the cabbage until everything is well combined and the cabbage begins to wilt.
Assemble the burgers with the slaw and serve immediately.