- Prep time
- 10 minutes
- Cook time
- 30 minutes
- 4 cups
For a healthy and flavorful take on the classic cheesy pasta sauce, try using butternut squash as the base!
- 2 tablespoons California extra virgin olive oil
- ½ onion, large diced
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and large diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 cups broth, chicken or vegetable
- Salt to taste
- ½ pound Havarti cheese, medium diced
In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
Add onion and sweat for 5 minutes, until it begins to turn translucent. Add squash, garlic, broth and a few pinches of salt. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the squash is tender and completely cooked.
Remove from heat. Place into a blender, or using an immersion blender, puree until completely smooth. Add cheese and blend until incorporated. Add salt to taste.
Serve with any of your favorite pasta shapes or use it to create your own macaroni and cheese.